Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies
I found this recipe looking for something similar to my favourite all time cookie. It’s an oatmeal cookie with a cream cheese filling that they make at the Greenwich Hotel in NYC. This is the closest I could find to that mythical snack, and I have to say it really is nearly as good. Especially a day old and a touch soft, the texture becomes something similar to a whoopee pie.
- 225g Butter (softened butter)
- 275g Dark Brown Muscovado Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 190g Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 270g Quick Cook Oats
- 112g White Chocolate
- 225g Cream Cheese
- 6 tbsp Butter (softened)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Preheat the oven to 175 C. Line three normal sized baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Take a large mixing bowl and throughly cream the butter and sugar with a whisk until light in colour and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time until well combined, followed by the Vanilla.
- In another bowl mix the Oats, Flour, Baking Soda, Cinnamon and Salt until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones in two batches until they are completely combined, stop beating as soon as they are combined.
- Take a melon baller and scoop out circles of cookie batter. Place them onto the tray about 2cm apart. Once you have filled the trays with the balls of dough take a plate of water and a flat bottomed glass, wet the glass and then press the balls down so they are between half and a quarter centimetre thick.
- Bake the cookies for between 10-15 minutes, rotating the baking sheets half way through to ensure an even bake. When the edges start to brown they cookies are ready. Don’t over cook them or they will loose there lovely light texture. Allow to cool on a rack.
- Meanwhile melt the white chocolate, I do this in the microwave, on low and in 10 sec blasts, stirring in between until liquid. In the mixer combine all the ingredients (apart from the white chocolate) until light and fluffily and well combined. Finally add the warm white chocolate and mix throughly. If too soft refrigerate until firm.
- Smear the filling in the middle of one cookie and press and turn another cookie on to the top so that the filling is even throughout.